Thursday, November 18, 2010

Goondu Salesman

Yesterday I went to Challenger in Funan IT Mall.

Looking to find a display monitor for my laptop, I walked over to section 4.

A salesman walked over to and pointed at a Samsung 23" and said to me: "That's HD, very good resolution." Well, I can see that. There's a sticker on the monitor that says "HD".  I'm always amazed how salesmen on retail floor will give you information that's obvious from the display itself. Did he not know that I can read?



Then I asked him: "what sort of cable that comes with the display?" He checked the back of the monitor and pointed at the VGA cable and said "this one."

I asked: "what about DVI?". "No, just this one." "Are you sure?" I said. He walked away, presumably to ask his colleague. I called out as he was walking away: "Have you seen the inside of the box before?"


He never came back.

Then I browse further. Another salesmen came forward. Young, local, and full of confidence. "Can I help you?" he said.

Pointing toward a Viewsonic, I said: "Does this one comes with DVI cable?" [I know it does. Every monitor comes with one."

Hesitant, he said: "I'm not sure. Why don't you take the Samsung?"

"So, what you're saying is that, as a consumer, I should pick another brand of monitor simply because the I cannot get information about this one?" I asked.

"Sir, I'm just give you a recommendation." he got defensive. Well, thanks for your recommendation, asshole. Please don't quit your day job.

Another salesmen rushed over in his defense with a flyer in his hand. "yes, yes, it does comes with DVI cable". He said triumphantly.

By which time, I've lost interest completely. I saw no point in discussing the difference in HD and IPS with anyone of them.

If they are going to sell monitors, why can Challenger give them some training? And as a salesman, why can't they just do some homework and look at Samsung's website?

I get very frustrated with people like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shoot